Industrial designer Job Description
At Trig, we pride ourselves in cultivating a high-performing, collaborative, and flexible work environment for our team members. Successful candidates need to demonstrate a high degree of individual initiative, creativity, empathy for customer pain points, and an enthusiastic desire to learn new skills in service of solving exciting problems.
Trig is a multi-state employer, currently registered with the states of North Carolina and Virginia. We are growing and looking for world-class talent. The position is perfect for an early- to mid-career Industrial Designer (1-5 years experience)
It is rare to find an industrial designer who owns and operates his own practice because industrial design is usually only a piece of what is a much larger and more complex design. Usually industrial designers work as part of a larger design team and most industrial designers are employed by large design firms and work in office buildings in close capacity with their teammates so that the entire team can collaborate easily on a single project. However, that is part of what makes Trig so unique.
Industrial designers develop the concepts for manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and medical devices. They combine art, business, and engineering to make products that people use every day. Industrial designers consider the function, aesthetics, production costs, and the usability of products when developing new product concepts.
Look out for product or industrial design competitions that you could enter, or exhibitions that you could take part in. Anything that can add to your portfolio will be helpful. You will need to be able to demonstrate the breadth of your work and any specialist interests.
It is also important to keep up to date with the industry so read design journals to find out about new technology.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Knowledge of design methods and ability to optimize methods used for individual client needs.
- Lead the definition and development of new product offerings that deliver new value and achieve our client’s business objectives.
- Have excellent form development ability, manifesting a brands tone and personality through product form.
- Demonstrate a mastery of technical skills: CAD - Solidworks; excellent sketching; color, material & finish, rapid sketch development, prototyping, and visualization in Keyshot or equivalent.
- Develop 3D digital surface models of high complexity and sophistication that are both aesthetically accurate and technically robust.
- Innovate within known high and low volume manufacturing techniques, specifying materials, construction, mechanisms, color and surface finish.
- Have a BA/BS in Industrial Design or equivalent experience.
- Have at least 1+ years of experience in the capacity of an industrial designer producing work of the highest quality.
- Have a strong understanding of materials and processes - balancing form and function for pragmatic design solutions.
- Have a strong capacity for concept visualization and creative solutions.
- Have the desire to work in a flexible, collaborative environment that demands individual initiative.
Interested in a career at Trig? Great! Please send a copy of your resume and portfolio of work through the form below.